There were days, not so long ago, when people had to huddle next to their radios to listen to their favourite shows. They always had to be home at a particular time if they did not want to miss their beloved program. This no longer applies. The advent of the internet has undoubtedly revolutionised how people listen to radio shows. You can now stream your favourite program at any time.
How Radio Streaming Works
Internet radio works by using an IP address to transmit audio through a process called streaming. People who want to listen to a particular show can visit the IP address assigned to it through the web browser and listen in. This is different from the traditional broadcast where a radio station is assigned specific frequencies, and they transmit audio via waves. Most broadcast radios are national, compared to international internet radio.
Benefits of Internet Radio
- Global coverage: Unlike broadcast radio, where access is limited as to how far the frequency goes, internet radio offers worldwide coverage. As long as you have the domain name of the station or channel, you can listen to radio from any part of the world.
- It opens up opportunities for starters: There was a time when the radio industry was dominated by the wealthy media owners, who enjoyed the monopoly and pushed their content. Listeners had no option but to listen to what was being broadcast. With radio streaming, you can listen to upcoming artists, who sometimes have more in-depth content, compared to other radio stations.
- High-quality audio: Since radio streaming is not dependent on the quality of the signal, listeners do not have to worry about wavering sound quality. As long as they have stable internet, the audio will remain constant throughout the show. There is also no interference by other competitors in the fight for frequencies, as seen in broadcast radio.
- Variety of content: Broadcast radio tends to lean towards giving mainstream content. With internet radio, live shows now include having betting companies host sessions. Live streaming, such as hosted by Unibet NJ are becoming more popular.
- Active interactions: During live streaming sessions, users can actively engage with the host of the show and other listeners. There are always live chat options and social media links to allow for engagements. The people who are tuned in feel like they are appreciated, especially if their requests and questions are responded to immediately during the show.
How to Find the Best Shows on Radio Streaming
- Ask for recommendations: Talk to your friends and ask them what they are listening to. Chances are that you share some interests, and they would be better placed to give recommendations, You can also use channels such as social media to reach out to people to provide you with suggestions.
- Check out ratings: Most radio shows are rated by the listeners. To learn about the show you have clicked on, you should read the reviews. If the reviews are outstanding, chances are that it is a good show. You should also read the reviews which have been left by other listeners, to know if the show could be what you are looking for.
- Search using your interests: Ask yourself what you are looking for in a show. If you want a program with country music, then your search should be specific about your needs. When you are precise on what you want, you can get more defined responses.
Before you land on a good show, you should be willing to experiment with many others and tune into many stations. Be adventurous and patient with your search.